Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Pop art portraits 7 th grade

Two words: Roy Lichtenstein. Students learned all about the great 20th century artist and how he used "benday dots" to create value. I showed them how to use a bold marker to create the benday dots while using a ruler to keep everything straight. I had originally assumed that Lichenstein used benday dots in the hair. I was wrong. Students referenced the way Lichenstein colored in hair: yellow with black streaks, brown with black streaks, and black with blue streaks.

I realized that Lichenstein never painted a person of color, that I could find anyway. That was awkward when trying to show examples. Even though I went out and bought multicultural markers, all my student examples look white, despite half these students have brown skin. Humm.....interesting?

Supplies: paper, pencil, bold multicultural markers, card stock for speech bubble.











No comments:

Post a Comment